Sunday 23 February 2014

Tips for travelling light!


Hey guys! Over the weekend, I went on a short trip up to the Gold Coast with a few friends and I though I would share a few tips on how to pack light. This is great if you have a weight limit (like a carry on) or if you are heading to music festivals! 

  1. Make a list
    I love making lists! plan out what your going to do when you get to your destination, scope out the weather and plan your outfits. Its also a great process of elimination, once you start getting everything down on paper you will realize what you don't need. 
  2. Keep it basic
    When it comes to planning outfits so far in advance it can be challenging but sometimes the best thing to do is  take a few neutral coloured basics that can be easily mixed n matched . Pick items that can serve a double purpose - for example a denim shirt can be used as a jacket if its a cooler night or as a shirt on its own on chillier days. 
  3.  Become an Eskimo
    And by that I mean learn how to layer! One of my favorite ways to save on space in my suitcase is to wear the heavier, bigger pieces on the plane. Layer lightweight fabrics like synthetics. If you are travelling to a cold climate, invest in a good pair of lightweight thermals (trust me, it is worth it!) You might look a little funny wearing 3 shirts a jumper and a jacket all at once, but at least you're not paying an extra $50 because you have exceeded the baggage weight limit.
  4. Accessories are your best friend. 
    Jewelry such as rings are definitely lighter and smaller than shoes so they are the perfect travelling companion. Necklaces are a great way to transform a look from day time casual to a dressy outfit. Scarves or shawls are not only great for keeping you warm, they can also add  a bit of  edge to your simple look. My personal favorite accessory to pack is my hat!  Not only does it go with every outfit, its a savior on those bad hair days.
  5. Collect samples. 
    Most beauty counters these days will happily give you a few samples of the latest moisturizer or shampoo so take advantage of this! Also if you have sample bottles or jars left over - keep them and reuse them. More about this in 'What's In My Travel Makeup Bag' post. 
  6. Do you really need those 5 pairs of shoes!? The answer is NO.
    Depending on the length of your trip and the activities you are doing, you may need more than one pair of shoes - and that's okay.  When I went to Europe I survived on two pairs of shoes for three months. If I can do it, so can you! Buy shoes that can be easily adapted to a casual or dressy outfit, for example a nice pair of sandals that you wear to the beach or out to dinner. Go for  neutral colours, I know the mint coloured flats are cute, but realistically they are not going to suit every outfit. 
Hope this post helps you when you are trying to pack for you next vacation! 

Danica xx

4 comments:

  1. Great advice on all points, Danica. I went to France for three months last year, and I really wish I had packed lighter than I did. Not only did I not wear a lot of the clothes that I packed, but I also had to pay for my overweight luggage (using the money I had earned as a work-study) since European baggage standards are much more restrictive than the ones in the United States.
    Ah, well. At least I know for next time. Thanks for sharing!

    Adia
    adiasinead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always regret over packing I know how it feels! glad the tips helped you :)

      Danica xx

      Delete
  2. I need to send this post to my bff as we have just hand luggage for our 5 day trip to Italy. She is having a panic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so lucky to travel italy, I want to go back so bad!
      xx danica

      Delete